Areas of Advice

Here you will find a short overview of what each advice area may cover.



Housing advice can cover:

  • Finding accommodation
  • Security of tenure,
  • Eviction
  • Threatened with homelessness
  • Repair problems
  • Harassment/eviction threats from landlord
  • Rents/service charges
  • Rent increases
  • Claiming housing benefit
  • Housing options
  • Disrepair
  • Court proceedings,
Look for Housing advice in your area   

Welfare Benefits


Benefits advice can cover benefits from central and local government, such as:

  • Benefits for people in work
  • Benefits for people looking for working
  • Benefits for families and children
  • Benefits for young people
  • Benefits for people who are sick or disabled
  • Benefits for people over 60
  • Benefits and bereavement
  • Health benefits
  • Social Fund
  • Income support
  • Employment and support allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Housing and Council Tax benefits
  • Tax credits
  • Pension credit
  • Jobseekers allowance
  • Overpayments, reviews, appeals
  • Community care grants
Look for Welfare Benefits advice in your area   



Debt advice can cover:

  • Rent/mortgage arrears
  • Council tax arrears
  • Utilities debts
  • Credit card debts
  • Catalogue debts
  • Consumer agreements
  • Loans and HP
  • IVAs, DROs, DMPs, bankruptcy (individual voluntary agreement, debt relief order, debt management plans)
  • Bailiff demands
  • Parking penalties
  • Statutory demands
  • Credit reference agencies
  • Liability for debt and the Limitation Act
  • Bank charges
  • Bills
  • Possession
Look for Debt advice in your area   



Regulated Immigration Advisers provide advice and services on:

  • Registration and naturalisation
  • Claims for asylum
  • Applications for entry clearance or leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom (UK)
  • Immigration employment documents
  • Nationality
  • Citizenship
  • Residence
  • Deportation and administrative removal
  • Bail applications
  • Appeals against deportation
  • Travel documents
  • Concessions outside the Immigration rules (Human Rights grounds)
  • Family reunion
  • Dependent relatives
  • All forms of visas
  • EEA residence permit
  • Work permits
Look for Immigration advice in your area   



Employment advice can cover:

  • Business transfers and takeovers (TUPE)
  • Discrimination
  • Dismissal
  • Employment contracts and conditions
  • National minimum wage
  • Redundancy
  • Time off, holidays, flexible working
  • Wages/pay disputes
  • Working hours
  • Working benefits
Look for Employment advice in your area   

Mental Health & Community Care


Mental Health can cover:

  • Carers’ rights
  • Obtaining a package of care
  • Adaptions to property
  • Hospital discharge
  • Services for disabled children
  • Powers of attorney and court of protection
  • Access to healthcare
  • Complaints about the Local Authority
  • Children in care
  • Charging for residential care or personal care at home
  • Reductions in your care package
  • Respite care

Community Care can cover:

  • Treatment
  • Crisis resolution
  • Sectioning
  • Support and treatment
Look for Mental Health & Community Care advice in your area   

Family & Education


Family Advice can cover:

  • Separation
  • Divorce
  • Cohabitation
  • Pensions
  • Children
  • Care Proceedings
  • Domestic Violence
  • Welfare Rights

Education Advice can cover:

  • Admissions
  • Attendance
  • Bullying
  • Exclusions
  • Special Educational Needs

Please note that education relates to school age children only

Look for Family & Education advice in your area