I have a visitor’s visa. Can I change to a student visa?

You can not usually change your status without leaving the UK and applying for a different form of visa in the relevant category. You can contact the immigration enquiry bureau to explain the reason you require an extension or change to your current visa, but permission to do so is extremely difficult to obtain.

What do I need to do to obtain a visitor’s visa?

EEA nationals do not require a visa.

For non EEA nationals, if you are 18 or over and you want to visit the UK for a maximum of 6 months, you can apply for a visitor’s visa. You must intend to leave the UK at the end of the period and have enough money for return travel and to support yourself whilst in the UK.

Can I come to work in the UK?

Most EEA nationals are free to enter and work in the UK. People from those countries that have more recently joined the European Union are required to register. Other migrants need to pass a points-based assessment.

Can my elderly mother come and live with me in the UK?

If you are a British citizen, or settled here, and can show that your mother is mainly dependent on your financial support, your mother can apply to join your household. You will need to show that you can maintain and accommodate your mother without needing public funds and that there are no other close relatives in your mother’s country who could support her.

Can I claim asylum?

If you can show that you have a well-founded fear of persecution because of your race, religion, nationality, political opinion or membership of a particular social group, you can make a claim for asylum.

Can I apply for settlement in the UK?

You will need to have lived in the UK for 2 or, in some instances, 5 years and will need to show knowledge of language and life in the UK.

How do I come to the UK for private medical treatment?

You will need to fulfil the requirements for a visitor’s visa, have made arrangements for the medical treatment which must be for a specified limited time period and have enough money to pay for the treatment and your stay in the UK. If you have a communicable disease, you will need to show that there is no danger to public health.

Can I be naturalised as a British citizen?

If you are over 18, have lived in the UK for the last 5 years (or 3 if married to or in a civil partnership with a British citizen), you can apply for naturalisation. Use form AN which can be downloaded from www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk. Please note that ‘earned citizenship’ will be introduced in July 2011.

Can I get married or register a civil partnership in the UK?

For non EEA nationals, you can visit the UK to get married or register a civil partnership as long as you intend to leave the UK within 6 months. If you are subject to immigration control, you may need to apply for a certificate of approval from the Home Office. This is not required for marriage in an Anglican church in the UK.